Welcome to the Psaltery & Lyre submissions page.
We read poetry submissions in January and July.
We read creative nonfiction, fiction, and hybrid submissions year round.
Here are a few guidelines to help you decide if P&L might be a good home for your work:
- While we are mainly attracted by high quality work on any theme, we are especially interested in pieces that explore the intersections between belief and doubt, sacred and profane, spiritual and secular.
- We publish poetry, creative nonfiction, fiction, hybrid work, and book reviews, featuring one writer’s work per week. Please submit 1-3 poems, 1 short essay (750 words or less), up to 3 flash essays (300 words or less), one short story (7500 words or less), or 1-5 hybrid pieces. Include a cover letter with your contact information, a short bio, and your submission in one attachment (.pdf, .rtf, .doc, or .docx).
- For fiction, send submissions to: psalteryfictioneditor (insert @ symbol) post.com
- Email all other submissions to: psalteryandlyre (insert @ symbol) gmail.com
- For book reviews, please query before submitting. We’re especially interested in poetry, creative nonfiction, fiction, and genre hybrids like visual poetry. Let us know what you’re thinking, and we’ll let you know if P&L would be a good fit for your review. We prefer reviews between 500-1000 words.
- Please submit no more than twice a year.
- We recommend you acquaint yourself with our aesthetic before submitting. We welcome submissions from both established and up-and-coming writers. Excellence is what we’re after.
- All submissions to Psaltery & Lyre must be original and previously unpublished. We acquire First Electronic Publishing Rights and reserve the right to keep your work in an online archive. All rights revert to the author upon publication.
- We read poetry submissions in January and July. All other genres are read year round. Simultaneous submissions are okay, but please let us know immediately if your work is accepted elsewhere.
- Payment. We are not able to offer payment at this time.
- Please allow up to two months for a response to your submission. If you haven’t heard back from us after two months, you are welcome to send an inquiry.